"A good old fashioned soda bread with just the basic ingredients. Buttermilk gives this crusty loaf a good flavor. The best Irish soda bread around!"
Kick St. Patrick’s Day off with a wholesome and hearty loaf of super easy Irish soda bread. Made from just 5 ingredients and ready to eat in 40 minutes, this easy bread recipe is one everyone can make. Yes, even you!Never made bread before? You can make this Irish soda bread. Don’t have a bread machine? You can make this Irish soda bread. Can’t be bothered to knead dough? You can make this Irish soda bread. Don’t have any buttermilk? You can make this Irish soda bread.
Method for Amazingly Easy Irish Soda Bread
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a large baking sheet.
- 2In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and margarine. Stir in 1 cup of buttermilk and egg. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead slightly. Form dough into a round and place on prepared baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine melted butter with 1/4 cup buttermilk; brush loaf with this mixture. Use a sharp knife to cut an 'X' into the top of the loaf.
- 3Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Check for doneness after 30 minutes. You may continue to brush the loaf with the butter mixture while it bakes.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
April 05, 2017